Tuesday 18 May 2010

Screenprinting


So, today was my first attempt at screenprinting...
I had no idea it was so messy! Or that it involved so much washing and drying and waiting... But I'm quite pleased with some of the results and managed to experiment with quite a few combinations of color + paper + text. It was a little daunting at first, but once I got the hang of it, it was pretty easy.


This is a print on tracing paper. I don't think it would be a good idea to print the poster onto it as it didn't seem to take the ink very well. The smaller pieces of text were okay, but the paper on the left hand side seemed to crinkle under the weight of the ink. That may have been an error on my part, as it was one of the first prints I did but I wasn't too impressed by it anyway.

I really love the black on brown paper, however I think the graph paper could make a really nice contrast with the notice board. The brown paper might blend into the cork of the notice board and I want this to be a noticeable standalone..notice!
(Clearly still getting to grips with the printing...printed half of the image onto the table!)

I think this blue colour is gorgeous...I'm just not sure that it's the right colour for the office...
The smaller writing was quite nice in the blue but I definitely don't think the notice "Be back 5 mins ago." should be in this colour. It just doesn't really work. I also don't think the colour is bold enough for the poster. The poster makes such a bold typographical statement, it would be a shame to lose it in a colour that can't pull it off.

I really like those black and white prints (the one that came out properly anyway!) I also really like the white on sugar paper too. It's a very unusual combination but I think it looks quite charming. Whether or not it is the right combination to use for the poster is another story, but I'll see when I start photographing my experiments on the notice board itself.
The red ink on black paper on the other hand, was a FAIL.
The red came out too dark and the poster was essentially even more illegible than it already is.

No comments:

Post a Comment