Tuesday 4 May 2010

LETTERPRESS


Argh, letterpress. The bane of my life. I had completely forgotten how painstaking it can be (especially when you do it wrong....). I had done it before but was just trying it out in the aesthetics of my project. I don't have the final product as I haven't actually printed it yet due to a ridiculously long waiting line to use the press...

I am going to letterpress two phrases, one that says:
"Be back 5 minutes ago."
as a notice left in the time traveller's office.

And a quote from Daniel Greenberger:
"Einstein said that if Quantum Mechanics were correct then the world would be crazy. Einstein was right - the world is crazy."
to demonstrate the absurdity of the theory.

Here are some photos of the letters all in place and ready to be printed!

(Excuse the bad quality, they're taken on my hundred year old camera phone)

I had a tutorial today, and whilst it unfortunately wasn't hugely helpful, it got me thinking about other ways to communicate the idea to an audience. John and I spoke about making it a bit more playful, and maybe having the time traveller change history. I wanted to have old physics and history books scattered around the place so maybe I could have the pages changed slightly to alter history? We also spoke about using photographs as proof of time travel e.g. having a polaroid of someone from the past to prove that the time traveller had actually travelled backwards in time.

I'm also having a lot of trouble with figuring out how the actual installation itself is going to be built as I would like a mirror on one side, and a shelf on the other... things are starting to get frustrating...

No comments:

Post a Comment