Tuesday 11 May 2010

Fully Reflected

After a chat with Rob I have decided that all of the things in the room need to be reflected rather than just some pieces. I couldn't justify only some things being reversed so if everything is reversed, it will literally be another world and you can peer into the other world that's the right way round through the mirror on the wall. That way, whatever you do to one, will immediately and inevitably affect the other, much like in Quantum Entanglement. It basically just makes a bigger statement than if just bits of it were back to front. The only the problem now is, how do I create the text back to front? I've done it with photocopying but it doesn't give a very polished finish; photocopies...? And I can't do it back to front with letterpress as the letters are already reversed! And with the typewriter, well I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to type it back to front.


On the topic of the whole room being back to front, I looked at Alice Through the looking Glass which was very relevant to what I want to achieve:

"Alice is playing with her kittens — a black kitten and a white kitten, the offspring of Dinah, Alice's cat in the first book — when she ponders what the world is like on the other side of a mirror's reflection. Climbing up on the fireplace mantel, she pokes at the wall-hung mirror behind the fireplace and discovers, to her surprise, that she is able to step through it to an alternative world. In this reflected version of her own house, she finds a book with looking-glass poetry, "Jabberwocky", whose reversed printing she can read only by holding it up to a mirror."

-Wikipedia


---|---

I've also come up with a new main poster slogan:

"If an atom can be in two places at once, why can't you?"

I think, 'Be Back 5 Mins Ago." gives the impression that the installation is about time travel. Whilst it is about time travel in a sense, that is not what I am really trying to communicate. I am trying to communicate the idea of something being in 2 places at once, so I think this phrase is more appropriate for a poster that will be the first thing the viewer sees, and will highlight my intention of rendering the information AND the viewer in two places at one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment